You can get mulled wine pre-mixed in a bottle or you can get sachets/bags of spice to add to your own wine, but making it from scratch is easy. For a non-alcoholic tipple, use fruit juice like orange, apple or grape instead of wine. The following recipe produces an exceptionally fiery brew, so adjust according to your tastes.
Make some magic
- Pop all the juice, spice and dried fruit into a large saucepan and simmer for 10-20 minutes (or longer), allowing the flavours to infuse.
- Add the sugar or other sweetener and stir until dissolved.
- Add your red wine and liqueur/liquor and stir again. Adding this at the end keeps the alcohol content high - the longer you heat it now, the lower the alcohol volume of the final drink.
- When it’s heated through, ladle into mugs or glasses and garnish with slices of orange.
- Whoosh! That will warm you up.